Eastern Central University (Spanish: Universidad Central del Este;
abbreviated as UCE) is a private university in the Dominican Republic,
San Pedro de Macorís
San Pedro de Macorís on October 15, 1970, in the eastern
region of the country. The University's Department of Medicine
operates an important medical center located in the center of Santo
Domingo. At an undergraduate level, the UCE counts with twelve
academic departments: Medicine, Dentistry, Bioanalysis, Pharmaceutics,
Business Sciences, Systems, Tourism, Production Sciences, Construction
Sciences, Natural Resources, Law, and Social and Public Communication.
The Dominican State officially recognized the institution through the
Presidential Decree N°. 1205, on July 2, 1971.
UCE was founded at a time in which the
Dominican Republic only counted
with a handful of other universities nationwide, which included the
Autonomous University of
Santo Domingo (UASD), founded by Pope Paul
III in 1538; the Catholic University Mother and Teacher (now
Pontifical) founded in Santiago in 1962; and the National University
Pedro Henríquez Ureña (UNPHU), founded in 1966.
The creation of UCE marked the beginning of an expansion period in
Dominican higher education. During the 1970s, ten universities were
inaugurated, UCE being the first of them. During the 1980s, a period
during which UCE expanded across the country, ten other universities
saw their beginnings. An initiative of Dr. José A. Hazim Azar, UCE
was first conceived as a Regional Institution: there were no higher
education campuses or institutions in the eastern region of the
country. For its creation, Hazim counted on the cooperation of
important personalities of San Pedro de Macorís, some of them members
of the chamber of commerce of the province. Nowadays, UCE has expanded
to include several campuses nationwide, largely due to public demand.
In 1980, the first extension was built in the province of El Seybo.
The campus of La Romana in 1982 followed, as did the extensions of San
Juan de la Maguana, San Cristóbal, and Santo Domingo, in 1983. Later,
on September 11, 1984, through the presidential Decree No. 2333, UCE
was authorized to open ten more extensions in several communities
across the nation: Barahona, Pedernales, Neyba, Duvergé, Elías
Piña, Las Matas de Farfán, Dajabón, Monte Cristi, Bayaguana, and
Dominican Republic university, college, or tertiary institution
related article is a stub. You can help by expandi