ST ERTH (Cornish : Lannudhno) is a civil parish and village in
Cornwall , England, United Kingdom.
The village is four miles (6.5 km) southeast of St Ives and six miles
(10 km) northeast of
St Erth takes its name from
Saint Erc , one of the many Irish saints
who brought Christianity to
Cornwall during the Dark Ages , and is at
the old crossing point of the
River Hayle . The Cornish name of the
place derives from St Uthinoch of whom little is known.
The parish shares boundaries with
Ludgvan in the west,
Hayle in the
north, and St Hilary in the south.
The current church of
St Erth dates from the 15th century, though an
older church is said to have once stood on
St Erth Hill overlooking
the village. St. Erth also has a railway station situated 0.75 miles
from the village, along the branch line between St Ives and
* 1 Geography
* 1.1 Manor houses
* 2 Parish Church
* 3 Local government
* 4 Twinning
* 5 Notable people
* 6 Further reading
* 7 References
* 8 External links
The old coaching road once led through the village, before the
building of the Causeway in 1825 along the edge of the
Prior to 1825 anyone wanting to go from
Hayle to St Ives or Penzance
had to cross the sands of
Estuary or make a significant detour
River Hayle at the ancient
St Erth Bridge. The Star Inn,
St Erth village centre, is a fine coaching inn dating from the
fourteenth/fifteenth centuries. It was along this route that tin was
carried upcountry from the stannaries of Penwith . Guides took
travellers across the sands, but, even with guides, it was sometimes a
perilous journey and the shifting sand and racing tide claimed several
lives. Because of this major obstacle to trade, a turnpike trust was
formed, with Henry Harvey a trustee, to build the causeway which now
takes the road below the plantation west to the Old Quay House.
Costing £5000 in 1825, the investors charged a toll to use the
causeway to recover their costs.
Langdon (1896) recorded that six stone crosses existed in the parish,
including two in the churchyard.
St Erth was the site of a large creamery operated by
United Dairies :
this was responsible for processing a large quantity of milk produced
Trewinnard Manor is an early 18th-century house built on a different
site from its medieval predecessor by the Hawkins family. Trelissick
Manor is a medieval house remodelled in 1688 for the Jacobite James
Paynter , again remodelled in the 18th century and extended in the
19th century. Tredrea Manor is a 17th-century house but it was largely
rebuilt c. 1856. The front is of five bays built in ashlar.
ST ERTH SAND PITS
Sand Pits was the site of choice for the extraction of clay
for the fixing of candles to the helmets of miners. It also was the
site of significant fossil finds and in 1962 was designated a Site of
Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). However, the main use of the sand
in this location was for the metal foundries throughout
beyond. The sand grains are found coated with a thin film of clay.
With gentle pressure and the correct percentage of water the sand
grains will bind together and can be used for making a sand mould into
which molten metals can be poured from making engineering castings. A
good source of clay for the fixing of candles to the helmets of miners
was St Agnes Beacon .
The cross in the churchtown
The parish church is dedicated to St Erc (Latin Ercus) and is
probably of the 14th century. It is not a large church and has a west
tower of three stages. There are north and south aisles, the arcade in
the north aisle having piers of two different types. The church was
restored in 1874, at which time two dormer windows were inserted in
the roof. The wagon roof of the south porch is old and the font is
Norman and of an unusual square design. The ornate wooden roofs of
the nave and aisles and fine oak screen decorated with the Four
Evangelists are due to the restoration of 1874.
The church is sited in a wooded area and the churchyard, according to
Charles Henderson , "greatly enhances the building". The names of
eight places in the parish are recorded as having chapels or shrines
in the medieval registers, including Bosworgey (St Mary Magdalene) and
There are six Cornish crosses in the parish: two are in the
churchyard and the others are in the churchtown and at Battery Mill,
Tregenhorne and Trevean.
For the purposes of local government
St Erth forms a civil parish and
elects eleven parish councillors every four years to
St Erth Parish
Council. The local authority is
Cornwall Council .
St Erth is twinned with Ploulec\'h in
Brittany , France.
* The Rev. William Paynter , (1637 – 1716) Anglican clergyman and
Oxford University was born at Trelissick Walbert,
in the parish of St Erth.
David Charleston (1848 in
St Erth – 1934) Cornish-born
Australian politician, emigrated to Australia in 1884 and in 1901 he
was elected to the
Herbert Augustine Carter VC (1874 – 1916) son of the vicar
of St Erth. Served in two campaigns in East Africa. He is buried at
St Erth in a plot planted with tropical plants including laurels and
castor oil plants. His
Victoria Cross is displayed at the Duke of
Cornwall\'s Light Infantry Museum at Bodmin.
* Admiral Sir Henry Bernard Hughes Rawlings GBE KCB (1889 in St Erth
– 1962) Royal Navy officer, became Flag Officer, Eastern
Mediterranean during World War II.
* Sir John William Frederic Nott KCB (born 1932) former British
Conservative Party MP for St Ives from 1966 to 1983, Secretary of
State for Defence during the
Falkland war , now lives on his farm in
* Tyrrell, Stephen (2012) Trewinnard: a Cornish History. Pasticcio
* ^ Place-names in the Standard Written Form (SWF) : LIST OF
PLACE-NAMES AGREED BY THE MAGA SIGNAGE PANEL. Cornish Language
* ^ Ordnance Survey: Landranger map sheet 203 Land's End ISBN
* ^ Langdon, A. G. (1896) Old Cornish Crosses. Truro: Pollard
* ^ Beacham, Peter p. 538
* ^ "
Sand Pits" (PDF). Natural
England . 1986. Retrieved 28
* ^ Pevsner, N. (1970) Cornwall; 2nd ed. revised by Enid Radcliffe.
Penguin; p. 169
* ^ "St Erth". Oliver's Cornwall. Retrieved 3 May 2010.
Mee, Arthur (1937) Cornwall. London: Hodder p. 213
* ^ Cornish Church Guide (1925) Truro: Blackford; pp. 92-93
* ^ Langdon, A. G. (1896) Old Cornish Crosses. Truro: Joseph
Mee, Arthur (1937) Cornwall. London: Hodder p. 213
* ^ Mee (1937); p. 250
* ^ Trewinnard: a Cornish History