PRATT INSTITUTE is a private , nonsectarian , non-profit institution
of higher learning located in the Clinton Hill neighborhood of
Pratt, an advocate of education, wanted to provide the opportunity for working men and women to better their lives through education. Even though Pratt never had the opportunity to go to college himself, he wanted to create an affordable college accessible to the working class. In 1884 Pratt began purchasing parcels of land in his affluent home town of Clinton Hill for the intention of opening a school. The school would end up being built only two blocks from Charles Pratt’s residence on Clinton Avenue.
From his fortunes with Astral Oil and
Enrollment grew steadily since inception. Six months after inception
the school had an enrollment of nearly 600 students. By the first
anniversary of the school there were 1,000 students in attendance. In
five years time the school had nearly 4,000 students. In 1888
As public interest grew in the school and demand increased the school
began adding new programs including the Pratt High School, Library
School, Music Department, and Department of Commerce. Because of the
overwhelming popularity of the Department of Commerce, the department
broke off from the main Institute and formed its own school, under the
guidance of Norman P. Heffley, personal secretary to Charles Pratt.
THE HEFFLEY SCHOOL OF COMMERCE, the former Pratt Department of
Commerce, originally having shared facilities with Pratt evolved into
what is now
In 1891, the Institute’s founder and first president, Charles Pratt, died and his eldest son, Charles Millard Pratt , assumed responsibility of president for the school. In 1893, Charles Pratt’s other son, Frederic B. Pratt , was elected President of Pratt Institute taking over from his elder brother. Because Charles Pratt Snr. died so soon after the college was founded, Frederic Pratt is ascribed with guiding the college through its early decades. Under the direction of Pratt’s sons, the Institute was able to thrive both financially and critically with many new construction projects and course offerings. By 1892 the number of students enrolled was 3,900. In 1897 the most popular major for students was domestic arts.
In 1896, the school opened its monumental Victorian-Renaissance
Revival library with interiors designed by the Tiffany Decorating and
Glass Company and sprawling gardens outside the library. The library
was available not just for students but to the general public as well.
By the turn of the century, The School of Science and Technology had become Pratt's most prestigious and well known school comprised most of the school’s enrollment Across from East Building on Grand Avenue, the Institute constructed a new quad dedicated specifically for the engineering school. Constructed over a period of a quarter of a century, the Chemistry, Machinery, and Engineering buildings were constructed in the same architecture style, unifying all disciplines offered by the School. Pratt also had a large variety of courses dedicated specifically for women during this time. Some of the 25 courses women could partake in included library science , nursing , home economics , and fashion .
By 1910, all of the departments of the Institute were organized as individual schools including the Library School, School of Domestic Science, School of Fine and Applied Arts, and the School of Science and Technology.
DEGREE-GRANTING STATUS AND INCREASE IN ENROLLMENT
World War One Memorial in the Rose Garden
World War I
By the 1938 most programs at the school began offering four-year
Bachelor of Science
World War II
In the 1940s the School of Science and Technology changed its name to the School of Engineering and in 1946 established its own honor society with mechanical engineering being the most popular major at all of Pratt. In 1953, Francis H. Horn became the first President of Pratt who was not a member of the Pratt family. Enrollment continue to climb throughout the decade and in 1948 the Institute reached an all-time high in attendance with 6,000 students. By 1950 Pratt had become an accredited institution by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools . In 1954 the architecture department split from the Engineering School to become its own school.
DeKalb Avenue Gate of Enclosed Campus
As part of white flight in the 1950s and 1960s which affected the
New York City
As part of Robert Moses\' plan for urban renewal in New York City, Pratt’s physical campus saw the greatest amount of change in its history. Prior to the 1950s, the school was located in separate buildings located on several public streets. However, after Moses' clearance of many of the structures located between Pratt's buildings, the land was given over to the school, and a true campus was established. Ryerson Street, Grand Avenue, Steuben Street, and Emerson Place ceased to allow automobile traffic, and the campus became enclosed, forming the Grand Mall to connect the Institute's buildings. The elevated train running along Grand Avenue between the East Building/Student Union and the Engineering Quad was dismantled. As a result of new real estate, the school was able to build several new structures, all designed by the firm of McKim, Mead "> Cannon Court Main Building as viewed from Rose Garden
Pratt Institute’s main campus is located on a historic, award
winning, enclosed 25-acre (100,000 m2) campus located in the Clinton
Hill neighborhood in Brooklyn, 2 miles from Downtown
The campus is accessible by two public entrances, both of which close in the evening hours and are guarded by security 24 hours a day. The main gate located at Willoughby Avenue on the north side of campus is accessible for pedestrians and vehicles while the secondary pedestrian-only gate located at the corner of Hall Street and DeKalb Avenue at the southwest part of campus is convenient for commuters and for students to get to Higgins Hall. In addition, there are two other swipe card access gates available only for student use. The campus is very park-like and fully landscaped and provides a stark contrast to the urban neighborhood which surrounds the school.
The four main areas of the campus include the Library Rose Garden, Cannon Court, Newman Mall and Amphitheater, and the Engineering Quad:
* The historically significant ROSE GARDEN is located directly north
of the library and was built as a part of the library acting as a
public park. At the center of the garden is a 1926 World War I
memorial flagpole detailed with eagles, male, and female busts.
* The CANNON COURT is located directly south of the library and
serves as the main entrance from the Hall Street gate. A central
feature of the court is a large bronze Spanish cannon from 1720
The entire campus is open to the public as park space during the daytime. Throughout the campus many contemporary sculptures fill the gardens and landscape, making the campus home to the largest sculpture park in New York City. The sculptures are loaned to Pratt and are changed on a rotating basis. Public Art Review recognized the campus as having one of the 10 best college and university art collections in the country.
Library Memorial Hall East Hall Engineering Building Chemistry Building
Pratt is home to a diverse collection of buildings composed of
several architectural styles. Most of the buildings at the school were
World War II
In 2011, Architectural Digest named Pratt as being one of the top ten most architecturally significant college campuses in the country, for its seamless collection of buildings ranging from since the 1800s.
The Main Building, East Hall Building, and Student Union are all located adjacent to one another and make up a complex of the original buildings, all built specifically for the Institute in 1887:
* Located at the north-central part of campus, the MAIN BUILDING is a six-story Romanesque Revival brick building designed by Lamb and Rich and was the first building to open at the school. The roof features an iconic clock tower, which overlooks the Rose Garden. The building houses administrative offices, classrooms, and art studios for the Arts Department of the School of Art and Design. In February 2013 a fire erupted throughout the top floors of the building, destroying much of the interior structure and students work. * EAST HALL is located directly behind Main Hall and faces Grand Walk. Designed by William Windrim, a main feature of the brick building is the large smokestack which served the Institute’s power generation plant. Within the Hall are a variety of services for students including Career Services, Student Activities, International Student Affairs, and the Pratt Chapel. Located in the lower level of the building is Pratt’s continuously operating, privately owned, steam-powered electrical generating plant built originally to serve the power needs of the school. In 1977 the facility was recognized by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and named a National Mechanical Engineering Landmark . The plant, located in the basement is available for public viewing from a two-story balcony. * The STUDENT UNION, by architect William Tubby , was originally built as the Trade School building but soon after completion was completely remodeled as the Student Union complete with gymnasium and swimming pool. In 1982 the building was renovated again as the new Student Union. All three buildings wrap around an interior courtyard which connects out to the Newman Mall and Library Rose Garden. The centerpiece of the courtyard is a 17th-century Italian marble well-head fountain purchased by the Pratt family in 1900.
Other structures include:
* SOUTH HALL, located along Reyerson Walk to the direct south of
Main Building, was finished in 1892 by
William Tubby and was built as
the Pratt High School. When the high school closed near the
turn-of-the-century, the building was used for the School of Domestic
Arts and Sciences. The building is now home to classrooms, studios,
and offices for programs in the Department of Fine Arts, part of the
School of Art and Design.
* PRATT INSTITUTE LIBRARY, which was opened in 1888 to serve
students and the general public as well, became the first free Public
Library in Brooklyn. The architect of the building was William Tubby
of Brooklyn. The decoration in the building was done by the Tiffany
Glass and Decorating Company .
* The CHEMISTRY, MACHINERY, and ENGINEERING BUILDINGS are located
across from Grand Walk and East Building, which are clustered around
the Engineering Quad’s lawn and gardens. They were built in phases
between 1908 and 1928 and designed by architecture firm Howells
font-size:105%; font-weight:bold; background: #A8EDEF;
U.S. Historic district
Show map of
New York City
Roughly bounded by Hall St., Dekalb Ave., Willoughby St. and
Brooklyn, New York
COORDINATES 40°41′28″N 73°57′50″W / 40.69111°N 73.96389°W / 40.69111; -73.96389 Coordinates : 40°41′28″N 73°57′50″W / 40.69111°N 73.96389°W / 40.69111; -73.96389
AREA 9 acres (3.6 ha)
ARCHITECTURAL STYLE Late 19th And 20th Century Revivals, Renaissance, Romanesque
NRHP REFERENCE #
ADDED TO NRHP March 23, 2005
A number of Pratt Institute’s buildings and landscapes are
historically significant. The PRATT INSTITUTE HISTORIC DISTRICT is a
national historic district that comprises 10 contributing buildings
built between 1885 and 1936. Several buildings are recognized as being
New York City
* Caroline Ladd Pratt House * Chemistry Building * Children’s Portico * East Hall * Engineering Building
* Engineering Quadrangle * Higgins Hall * Machinery Building * Main Building * Main Building Courtyard * Memorial Hall
Pratt, a residential campus, offers seven different residence options for its students. All residence hall students are provided with a bed (twin extra-long), a desk, a chair and a dresser. Students residing in a dorm on campus are required to be on a mandatory meal plan (Stabile, Cannoneer, ELJ, and Pantas), while those off campus are able to sign up for an optional meal plan (Willoughby and Grand Avenue). Cannoneer Court, Leo J. Pantas Hall, and Vincent A. Stabile Hall are the primary freshman dorms. In total, 51 percent of undergraduate students reside on campus while 92 percent of incoming freshmen students reside on campus. Pratt offers the following residence halls for students to choose from:
* CANNONEER COURT, was designed by architecture firm Skidmore, Owings and Merrill in 1986 and was constructed using modular construction. Each individual dorm room was constructed off-site and then set into place like building blocks. This is Pratt’s only traditional, corridor-style residence hall and houses students in double rooms. Bathrooms are communal. The building has a lounge and study/work area as well as a garden courtyard. The rooms are air-conditioned and carpeted. Cannoneer Court is primarily a freshman residence hall. * ESTHER LLOYD-JONES HALL is named for a trendsetter in modern American higher education. The building was originally a private apartment building built in 1921 but was acquired by Pratt in 1964 as use for dormitories. ELJH accommodates students single and double rooms in apartment-style accommodations. ELJH is occupied primarily by upperclassmen continuing students. * GRAND AVENUE RESIDENCE is home to new and continuing graduate students. The building can accommodate 50 students in efficiency apartments (double and single) and private single rooms within two- and three-bedroom apartments. A double-efficiency apartment is two students sharing a one-room apartment (with kitchen and bath). A single-efficiency apartment is one student in a private one-room apartment with kitchen and bath. A shared single is two or more students, each with its own private bedroom, sharing kitchen, bath, and living room. The building is located one block from campus. Each living room is furnished with a sofa, club chair, coffee table, kitchen table, and chairs. * LEO J. PANTAS HALL was opened in 1987 and designed by Skidmore, Owings and Merrill and sits centrally located on campus. Students live in four-person suites, which consist of two double rooms (two people in each double room), and each suite has its own bathroom. Suites are single sex, but floors are co-ed. This building has no air conditioning. The building boasts a work/study rooms and communal lounges. The building was design in brick with a clock tower, echoing the style of original 1887 Main Building. Pantas is primarily a freshmen residence hall.
The historic Pratt Townhouses
* THE PRATT TOWNHOUSES are historic landmarks which were originally constructed from 1901 to 1910 in the colonial revival style to serve as faculty housing. The townhomes were designed by Hobart C. Walker. After being neglected for several years, Pratt is in the process of renovating the apartments to be used by upperclassmen. * VINCENT A. STABILE HALL opened in the Fall of 1999 and designed by Pasanella+Klein, Stolzman+Berg Architects. Named for the donor and graduate of the Engineering School, it was designed for new undergraduate students. It houses 240 students in four-person suites. Each suite consists of two double rooms with a shared bath. There are kitchenettes located on each floor. Stabile is primarily a freshmen residence hall. * WILLOUGHBY HALL is a former private apartment building built as part of Robert Moses ’ urban renewal projects surround Pratt, and is the largest residence hall. Built in 1957 by architect John Mead Howells , the 16-story building accommodates 800 undergraduate men and women. In addition to the standard furniture, all apartments have a kitchen table, stove, and refrigerator. All students are assigned to double, triple, or single spaces. The converted apartments consist of at least one double or triple that occupies the former living-room space of the apartment. The number of students residing in a given apartment ranges from two to six students, depending upon the size of the converted apartment—studio, one, two, or three bedroom.
The Clinton-Washington Avenues subway station of the G train is
close to Pratt's
Pratt does not provide any official sponsored transportation options for its students, but there are several public transportation options located directly off Pratt's main campus.
The school is served by MTA
New York City
New York City's public bike-share program, Citi Bike , has stations nearby at Lafayette Avenue and Saint James Place; at Hall Street and Willoughby Avenue; and at Emerson Place and Myrtle Avenue.
The PRATT MANHATTAN campus, located at 144 West 14th Street, between
6th and 7th Avenue, is home to Pratt's associate degrees programs in
graphic design, illustration, and digital design and interactive
media, an undergraduate program in construction management and several
of Pratt's graduate programs including the master's degrees in the
School of Information , Communication Design (MFA and MS), Historic
Preservation, Facilities management, Design Management and Arts and
Cultural Management. This seven story historic building was acquired
by Pratt in 2000. The Institute restored the building's exterior to
its original facade highlighting its decorative architectural and
design elements and renovated the interior to feature its high
ceilings and wood beams. A lovely staircase from the building's lobby
leads to the Pratt
This new building houses the School for Information , the Graduate Programs in Communications and Package Design, Design Management, Arts and cultural Management and the two-year associate degree Programs in Digital Design, Graphic Design and Illustration. The modern building has many resources like a library, computer lab and meeting spaces.
In 1974, the New York Phoenix School of Design, formerly the New York
School of Applied Design for Women and the
Phoenix Art Institute
In 2010 Pratt acquired the entire third floor of a building on West 18th Street to serve as a studio space for its new MFA program in Communications Design.
SCHOOLS AND ACADEMIC DIVISIONS
The schools include:
* SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE
* Department of Undergraduate Architecture * Department of Graduate Architecture * Department of Construction Management * Department of Facilities Management * Department of Graduate Architecture and Urban Design * Graduate Center for Planning and the Environment
* SCHOOL OF ART AND DESIGN
* Department of Foundation Art
* Department of Art and Design Education
* Department of Creative Arts Therapy
* Department of Arts and Cultural Management
* Department of Communications Design
* Department of Graduate Communications/Packaging Design
* Department of Digital Arts
* Department of Design Management
* Department of
* SCHOOL OF LIBERAL ARTS AND SCIENCES
* Department of English and Humanities * Critical and Visual Studies * Intensive English Program * Department of Math and Science * Department of Social Science and Cultural Studies * Writing Program
* SCHOOL OF INFORMATION (Pratt has the oldest continuously accredited library-science program in the United States.) * CENTER FOR CONTINUING EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL STUDIES
* School of Domestic Arts and Sciences * School of Engineering
JOINT DEGREE PROGRAMS
* J.D./Master in City and Regional Planning:
RANKINGS AND ACCREDITATION
RANK YEAR PROGRAM RANKED BY SOURCE
1 2013 Interior Design U.S. News & World Report
3 2013 Interior Design - Graduate DesignIntelligence
4 2013 Interior Design - Undergraduate DesignIntelligence
5 2013 Industrial Design U.S. News & World Report
2 2013 Industrial Design - Graduate DesignIntelligence
3 2013 Industrial Design - Undergraduate DesignIntelligence
9 2015 Architecture - Undergraduate DesignIntelligence
11 2014 Architecture - Undergraduate DesignIntelligence
10 2013 Architecture Archifund
10 2013 Architecture GA
11 2013 Architecture - Undergraduate DesignIntelligence
6 2013 City and Regional Planning U.S. News & World Report
12 2013 Graphic Design U.S. News & World Report
11 2013 Archives and Preservation U.S. News & World Report
U.S. News & World Report ranked
The men's basketball team has a storied tradition, including the 4th longest collegiate basketball rivalry in the nation between Pratt and Polytechnic University (Brooklyn, NY), with Pratt holding the overall record 78-59. The Cannoneers also took home a national collegiate championship title in 1901, and made four NAIA ('59, '60, '61, and '62) and two ECAC ('77,'79) post-season appearances. Former players included Ed Mazria ('62), who was drafted by the New York Knicks, and Anthony Heyward ('94), who currently tours with the And1 streetball team as "Half Man Half Amazing". Bernard Chang was formerly captain of the Men's Varsity basketball team.
The men's soccer team won the NAIA tournament in 1959, edging
The women's cross-country team recently captured the 2006 HMWAC championship title and coach Dalton Evans won "Coach of the Year" honors. The men's cross-country team also has a championship title. The women's tennis team has won three HVWAC titles, including an appearance in the ECAC tournament.
In addition, there are intramural activities schedules throughout the year, ranging from individual (tennis and track & field) to team sports (soccer, basketball, volleyball, and touch football). Two premier student intramurals events include the fall classic Halloween Pratt Ratt Outdoor Obstacle Relay Race and the annual Mr. & Ms. Pratt All Thatt Fitness "> The station later re-emerged in 2001 as a legitimate internet-only station.
FRATERNITIES AND SORORITIES
The Inter-Greek Council is responsible for all Greek life organizations at Pratt Institute. In total, Pratt offers two fraternities for male students and two sororities for female students:
IN POPULAR CULTURE
* The music video of
Martin L. Beck
Alfred Mosher Butts
* Richard Foster
Mott B. Schmidt
Peter L. Shelton
GOVERNMENT, POLITICS, AND SOCIAL ISSUES
CONGRESSMEN, GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS, AND POLITICIANS
* Leo Frank (1902) factory manager; lynched in 1915 for the murder of a 13-year-old girl; subject of the musical Parade
ENTERTAINMENT AND COMMUNICATIONS
Gwendolyn B. Bennett
Mark Mathew Braunstein
Sarah Louise Delany
ART AND DESIGN
C. C. Beall
Pamela Colman Smith
Sergio Rossetti Morosini
William T. Williams
* Kent Williams
* Max Weber
Susan Louise Shatter
* Joseph Szabo
* David Silverman
Nat Mayer Shapiro
Susan L. Talbott
Willy Bo Richardson
* ^ Program in Architecture and Urban Design -
* Elbert Hubbard, 1909, Little Journeys to the Homes
* Tarbell, Ida M. 1904, The History of Standard Oil
* Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) Web site,
Wikimedia Commons has media related to PRATT INSTITUTE .