They were the largest non-articulated locomotives ever built and the most powerful locomotives ever static tested, producing 7,987 cylinder horsepower (5,956 kW ) on the PRR's static test plant. They were by far the most successful duplex type. The duplex propensity to slip was combated by an automatic slip control mechanism that reduced power to the slipping unit.
The Q2 locomotive was 78% more powerful than the locomotives that PRR had in service at the time, and the company claimed the Q2 could pull 125 freight cars at a speed of 50 mph (80 km/h).
Despite overall success, the Q2s were all out of service by 1951. With dieselization, they were the obvious first targets to be withdrawn since they were only a little more capable than the conventional J1 class 2-10-4s but with far higher operating and maintenance costs.
* ^ A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U Harley, E.T. (1982). Classic Power 5: Pennsy Q Class. Hicksville, New York: N.J. International. ISBN 0-934088-09-8 . * ^ Staufer, Alvin (1962). Pennsy Power. Staufer. pp. 216–225. LOC 62-20872. * ^ Brian Reed (June 1972). Loco Profile 24: Pennsylvania Duplexii. Windsor, Berkshire, UK: Profile Publications. * ^ "4-Cylinder Engine Has 78% More Power." Popular Mechanics, December 1944, p. 13.
* v * t * e
* A1 * A2 * A3 * A4 * A5s
* B1 (s) * B2 * B3 * B4 * B5 * B6 * B7 * B8 * B1 (e)
* C1 * C29 * C30 * C31
* D1 * D2 * D3 * D4 * D5 * D6 * D7 * D8 * D9 * D10 * D11 * D12 * D13 * D14 * D15 * D16 * D21 * D22 * D23 * D24 * D25 * D26 * D30 * D31 * D32 * D33 * D34 * D35 * D36 * D37 * D38 * D39 * D61 * "Odd D" #10003
E (4-4-2 ):
* E1 * E2 * E3 * E4 * E5 * E6 * E7 * E21 * E22 * E23 * E28 * de Glehn
* F1 * F2 * F3 * F21 * F22 * F23 * F24 * F25 * F26 * F27 * F30 * F31 * F61
G ( 4-6-0 ):
* G1 * G2 * G3 * G4 * G5 * G53
* H1 * H2 * H3 * H4 * H5 * H6 * H8 * H9 * H10
* J1 * J28
* K1 * K2 * K3s * K4s * K5
L ( 2-8-2 ):
* L1s * L2s * L5 * L6
M ( 4-8-2 ):
N ( 2-10-2 ):
* N1s * N2s
* Q1 * Q2
R ( 4-8-4 ):
* S1 * S2
ARTICULATED STEAM LOCOMOTIVES:
* CC1s * CC2s * HC1s * HH1s * HH2s
ARTICULATED ELECTRIC LOCOMOTIVES:
* AA1 * BB1 * BB2 * BB3 * DD1 * DD2 * FF1 * FF2 * GG1
* E2b * E2c * E3b * E44
This steam locomotive-related article is a stub . You can help by expanding it .