HETERODONTA is a taxonomic subclass of saltwater clams, marine bivalve molluscs . This subclass includes the edible clams , the cockles and the Venus clams.
* 1 Description * 2 Orders
* 3 2010 Taxonomy
* 3.1 Infraclass: Archiheterodonta
* 3.2 Order:
* 3.3 Infraclass: Euheterodonta
* 3.4 Unassigned Euheterodonta
* 3.5 Order:
* 3.6 Order:
* 3.7 Order:
* 3.8 Order:
* 4 References
These bivalves are distinguished by having the two halves of the shell equally sized (i.e, they are equivalved), and having a few cardinal teeth separated from a number of long lateral teeth . Their shells lack a nacreous layer, and the gills are lamellibranch in form. Most species have a siphon .
This subclass contains four extinct orders, five orders of living bivalves, and a group of as yet unassigned Euheterodonta :
* Order †Cycloconchidae * Order † Hippuritoida (rudists) * Order †Lyrodesmatidae * Order †Redoniidae
In 2010, a new proposed classification system for the Bivalvia was published in by Bieler, Carter ">
* Wd : Q131873 * EoL : 2576871 * ITIS : 80383 * NCBI : 6599 * WoRMS : 216
This bivalve -related article is a stub . You can help by expanding it .