GASHERBRUM I (Urdu : گاشر برم -1; simplified Chinese :
加舒尔布鲁木I峰; traditional Chinese : 加舒爾布魯木I峰;
pinyin : Jiāshūěrbùlǔmù I Fēng), surveyed as K5 and also known
as HIDDEN PEAK, is the 11th highest mountain in the world at 8,080
metres (26,510 ft) above sea level. It is located on the
Pakistani–Chinese border in
Gasherbrum I was designated K5 (meaning the 5th peak of the Karakoram
) by T.G. Montgomerie in 1856 when he first spotted the peaks of the
Gasherbrum I was first climbed on July 5, 1958 by Pete Schoening and Andy Kauffman of an eight-man American expedition led by Nicholas B. Clinch. Richard K. Irvin, Tom Nevison, Tom McCormack, Bob Swift and Gil Roberts were also members of the team.
* 1 Timeline * 2 See also * 3 Bibliography * 4 Notes and references * 5 External links
* 1934 - A large international expedition, organized by the Swiss
G.O. Dyhrenfurth , explores
Gasherbrum I and II. Two climbers get to
6,300 m (20,670 ft).
* 1936 - A French expedition gets to 6,900 m (22,640 ft).
* 1958 - An American team makes the first ascent.
* 1975 -
Reinhold Messner and
Peter Habeler reached the summit on a
new route (northwest route) in pure alpine style (first time on an
8000-metre peak) taking three days total. One day later, a team of
three led by Austrian Hanns Schell reached the summit on the American
* 1977 - The fourth successful ascent by two Slovenians (Nejc
Zaplotnik and Andrej Stremfelj), again on a new route.
* 1980 - A French expedition is successful with the 5th ascent and
pass the south ridge for the first time.
* 1981 - Japanese have the 6th successful ascent.
* 1982 - G. Sturm, M. Dacher and S. Hupfauer of a German expedition
summit via a new route on the north face. In the same year, French
Marie-José Valençot is the first woman who reaches the summit. Her
Sylvain Saudan from Switzerland, performs the first ski
descent from the top of an 8000-metre peak to base camp.
* 1983 -
Jerzy Kukuczka with
Wojciech Kurtyka , new route. Alpine
style ascent without the aid of oxygen.
* 1983 - Teams from
* List of mountains in
* Carter, H. Adams (1975). "Balti Place Names in the Karakoram". American Alpine Journal. 49: 53. * Clinch, Nicholas B. (December 1982). A Walk in the Sky: Climbing Hidden Peak. Seattle, WA, USA: Mountaineers Books. ISBN 0-89886-042-3 . * Fanshawe, Andy; Venables, Stephen (March 1996). Himalaya alpine-style: the most challenging routes on the highest peaks. Seattle, WA, USA: Mountaineers Books. ISBN 0-34064-931-3 .
NOTES AND REFERENCES
* ^ A B "
Gasherbrum I". Peakbagger.com. Retrieved 2014-08-24.
* ^ "Trekking Routes - Highest peaks". cknp.org. Retrieved
* ^ A B Clinch "A Walk in the Sky"
* ^ A B C "
Gasherbrum I: Some background and History". k2news.com.
* ^ Fanshawe & Venables "
* Gasherbrum I on Summitpost *