ABINGDON PRESS is the book publishing arm of the United Methodist
Abingdon Press was begun in the early 1900s by the Methodist Church ,
with headquarters in
In 1923 the Methodist Episcopal Church, South adopted the name Cokesbury for its own publishing concern. When the northern and southern branches of the Methodist Episcopal Church reunified in 1939, the name Abingdon- Cokesbury was chosen as the name of publishing house of the unitary Methodist Church .
This name remained in use until 1954, when a return was made to the name Abingdon Press, with the church's retail division for its publishing enterprises assuming the name Cokesbury. In 1965 the joint Abingdon Press and the associated Cokesbury retail shops employed more than 2,000 people.
* ^ Abingdon Press: About Us Archived April 12, 2010, at the